On April 27, 1899 a group of people met at the home William B. Smith in Cannondale to discuss organization of a new subordinate grange of the Order of Patrons of Husbandry, better known as the National Grange.
The meeting was adjourned until May 4, 1899 and at that time, with 53 charter members and an assist from the established Norfield, Westport and New Canaan Granges, Cannon Grange No. 152 of the Connecticut State Grange of the Order of Patrons of Husbandry was established. Mr. Samuel J. Miller served as the first Master of Cannon Grange.
Cannon Grange was neither an original concept nor a new organization. By 1899 there were already 82 subordinate granges in Connecticut. The National Grange had already made its most prominent marks in American history books, had been through its most turbulent years and was in the process of a long and slow recovery from its nadir.