Saint Bernard Roman Catholic Church

Address: 701 Fifth Avenue
Dayton, KY 41074
Phone: 859-261-8506
Fax: 859-261-0016
History of Saint Bernard Church

The City of Dayton Kentucky, where Saint Bernard is located, came into being on March 1, 1848 when the General Assembly of Kentucky incorporated the town of Jamestown, the eastern half of the current city. The duly elected Trustees of Jamestown held their first meeting on June 25, 1849.

During this time there were 40 Catholic families living in Jamestown and attending mass at Corpus Christi Church, in Newport Kentucky or, using small boats, Saint Francis de Sales Church across the Ohio River in Fulton, now Cincinnati, Ohio.

Feeling the need to have their own Church the Catholics of Jamestown, in 1849, formed two societies, the St. Joseph Society for men and the St. Mary Society for the women, each having a shared goal of erecting a local Church. By 1851 these societies had acquired a parcel of land for their church on Third Avenue between Clark and Benham Streets. They joyfully nicknamed it "God's Acre."

20 million people rely on AmericanTowns each year to find & share local information