First Baptist Church of Wyandotte

Address: 1925 Ford Ave
Wyandotte, MI 48192
Phone: (734)282-1424
Email:
In the year 1896, when the Rev. J.E. Littell was serving as a Colporter for the American Baptist Publication Society, he came to Wyandotte to help organize a Mission Sunday School. Later the Sunday School was reorganized as a Baptist Mission with the assistance of a Sunday School class from the Woodward Avenue Baptist Church of Detroit. At that time the Mission was located in the home of Eliza and Hannah Jackson on the southeast corner of Eureka Avenue and Third Street.

On February 11, 1901 the new building at 221 Ford Avenue was dedicated. On September 1, 1901, the Rev. B.S. Hudson, pastor of the Stanton Park Church, began a part-time ministry here with an afternoon preaching service and Sunday School until the church might secure a pastor on the field.

In 1944 property was purchased for a new site at 1925 Ford Avenue. Funds were raised for the new building and the Cornerstone was laid on May 8, 1949. The building of the new church took one year from beginning to end and cost $130,000. It would have cost $250,000 but for the many man hours contributed by the men of the church. The completion of the Educational Building occurred in 1962.

20 million people rely on AmericanTowns each year to find & share local information