Ramsey Golf and Country Club

Address: 105 Lakeside Drive
Ramsey, NJ 07446
Phone: 201-327-0009
Email:

Our present Club had its beginnings as a 220 acre estate called, "Arlena Towers." Carefully developed over a 30 year period by two owners beginning in the early 1900's, the original mansion was of ancient Norman architecture. The building was modeled after the famous Ramsey Abbey, erected in Hampshire, England, by King Edward the Elder around 900 A.D. Gaining authenticity, many of the materials for the mansion imported from England.

The elaborate landscaping, plantings, and seedlings of the estate were begun by the original owner, Arthur Brandeis of department store and theatrical fame. The beautification of the property was completed by the second owner, Joseph DeWyckoff, co-founder of the Vanadium Corporation of America. Three beautiful lakes were developed on the property. The lakes’ shaded banks were landscaped and the mansion was surrounded by towering trees and beautiful gardens. Hundreds of varieties of trees, shrubs, and flowers abounded and many were very rare for this area. The 50 acre seeded lawn, now part of our golf course, was considered the largest and best kept lawn in the East. In 1935, "Arlena Towers" was awarded first prize as the most beautiful estate in America by Better Lawns and Gardens.

In 1940, the DeWyckoff Estate was sold to National House and Farms Association. The residential development was named the Ramsey Country Club Estates. Each purchaser agreed to abide by the rules of the Club by accepting title and was issued a share of stock, a practice which is still in effect.

Approximately 40 homes were built before World War ll forced a halt to construction due to material shortages. Being unable to continue building, National House and Farms offered the building lots for sale. They agreed to turn over the mansion and surrounding property, including the original 9-hole golf course, to the existing homeowners. Thus, the Ramsey Golf & Country Club was born. The early members contributed hours of time and labor toward maintaining and developing the facilities. At that time, there was no staff of any kind; all cooking, serving, cleaning, and gardening was done by the members.

Over the next several decades, the membership continued to initiate a wide range of improvements. The most significant of the renovations occurred after a disastrous fire on February 14, 1986. All that remained were the original stone walls. The restored Clubhouse was reopened on August 1, 1987, with many new amenities. Finally, the Club came into its maturity when on July 2, 1995 the Ramsey Golf & Country Club officially opened its new 18-hole golf course.

20 million people rely on AmericanTowns each year to find & share local information