Ramsey Historical Association

Address: P.O. Box 76
Ramsey, NJ 07446
Mission Statement

The Ramsey Historical Association was organized in 1956 to restore, manage and preserve the Old Stone House and to stimulate interest in the history and traditions of the area.

Brief History of the Old Stone House

The Ramsey Historical Association furnishes, maintains and operates the Old Stone House as a museum and educational facility.

The Old Stone House is Ramsey's oldest building. It was built as a Dutch colonial farmhouse in the 1700s. Rubble stone, clay mortar, chopped straw, and hog's hair were used in its construction. It became a stagecoach stop, with a barn across the street for the changing of teams of horses.

In the early 1950s, the house and property were purchased by the New Jersey Department of Transportation, with the idea to demolish the house to facilitate construction of a Route 17 overpass. The state was persuaded to spare the building, thanks to many letters and petitions by the Ramsey Women's Club and others.

In 1977, the Old Stone House was placed on both the National and State Registers of Historic Places.

In 2000, the "Stone by Stone" docudrama of the Old Stone House's history was recognized by the National Trust for Historic Preservation as a "Save America's Treasures" project.

Open Houses at the Old Stone House Museum are in April, May, June, October, and December, one Sunday per month.

20 million people rely on AmericanTowns each year to find & share local information