New York Public Library - 96th Street Branch

Address: 112 East 96th Street
New York, NY 10001
Phone: 212-289-0908
Email:

History:

Bridging the neighborhoods of Yorkville and East Harlem, the 96th Street Branch has been a vital center of information, learning and recreation to a diverse community since it opened in September 1905. One of the 65 libraries built with funds donated to New York City by Andrew Carnegie, the library was designed by the noted architectural firm of Babb, Cook and Willard. Both beautiful and functional, the interior is distinguished by tall arched windows, lofty ceilings, wide staircases, and dark oak bookshelves. A renovation in 1991 considerably expanded the space available to the public and modernized the building, while retaining its original architectural beauty. The branch contains an adult reading room, a children's room with a separate space for story hours an expanded reference center a conference room and an auditorium with a seating capacity of 50.

Recent Photos

20 million people rely on AmericanTowns each year to find & share local information