United Methodist Church of Berea
In response to the call of God, the United Methodist Church of Berea is committed to follow the teaching and example of Christ. Through the Holy Spirit, we proclaim the Good News and grow as a fellowship of the people of God. We dedicate our God-given talents to create and sustain an environment which enables people to become new persons in mind and heart as we serve God in the world.
Our roots go back to 1828, when John and Mary Baldwin first settled in Berea from New England. Although they held religious meetings beginning in 1832, the Berea United Methodist Church was not organized for 11 years, in 1843. In 1852, land was purchased for the First United Methodist building. It was made from Berea sandstone and for many years was known as the Old Stone Church. By this time, the German Emmanuel Methodist Church was growing, meeting in what is today, the Baldwin-Wallace College Chapel. In 1899, the First Methodist Episcopal Church was built on the corner of Seminary and Spring. After years of discussion, First Methodist and Emmanuel Methodist joined to become The Methodist Church of Berea. Sunday, May 18, 1947, the two churches celebrated the union. In 1968, a union of the Methodist and Evangelical United Brethren denominations took place to form the United Methodist Church. The building now known as The United Methodist Church of Berea was dedicated in 1952 and stands at the corner of Seminary and Spring where the First Methodist Episcopal Church once stood.