City Of North College Hill

Address: 1704 West Galbraith Road
Cincinnati, OH 45239
Phone: 513-521-7413
History Of North College Hill:

The community of North College Hill, as we know it today, was part of a million acre tract purchased by John Cleves Symmes in 1787. All of the area was in Springfield Township. Many of the early settlers came from Springfield, New Jersey, the reason given for the name, Springfield.

During 1804, Peter LaBoiteaux migrated from New Jersey and settled on the west side of the Great Road (Hamilton Ave.) on property extending to what is now Mt. Healthy. LaBoiteaux and Samuel Hill laid out the town of Mt. Healthy.

During 1813, William Cary bought 491 acres in College Hill and 75 acres across North Bend Road in Springfield Township - North Bend Road was the southern boundary of Springfield Township.

Robert Cary, a relative of William, bought the land, which is now Clovernook Home for the Blind. He had 27 acres, and called it Clovernook Farm. Robert Cary laid-out the town of NCH., as we know it today. It was originally called Clovernook and was located east of Hamilton Ave. He left out the definite date, but the birth date has been set as 1814. The small 3-room house he built is still standing on the property of the Clovernook Home for the Blind.

About 1814 John Bodine, an uncle by marriage to Peter LaBoiteaux, migrated to this area and owned the land where Laboiteaux Cemetary is located at the corner of Hamilton and Galbraith. Mr. Bodine has a burial place for his own family and neighbors donated the land. The cemetery was larger than we see it today. When the road was widened, some of the graves were moved to Spring Grove Cemetery.
The Nobles owned 160 acres of timber and cleared the land on which was constructed a house at 7345 Hamilton Ave. in 1833. This is where the Paul Young Funeral Home is today.

Dr. Isaac Wise migrated to this country from Austria in 1846, since Jews could not own land in Austria. He bought a farm here in 1861, 42 acres. His original brick house that stood at 6816 Hamilton Ave. is now the Isaac Wise Memorial Park.

In the early 1900's a sawmill owner named John Meyer used his surplus lumber and began building houses at economical prices on the northwest side of Hamilton Ave. The most unusual thing about his development was that persons with little or no down payment were able for the first time to own their own homes.

During 1906,  John Meyer built, at his own expense, a community church at Noble and Galbraith. A few years later the Methodist Church purchased it. It is understood that this tiny community north of Galbraith (then called Van Zandt) was unofficially called Meyerville.

During 1908, "Buck" DeArmand formed the Ohio Land Improvement Co. and bought a large track of land south of Galbraith (Van Zandt), west of Hamilton and for sales purposes the promoters called the development "SUNSHINE". Billboards were put up which had a picture of a tree on either side, with a large sun in the middle with the caption " up ehere the sun shines and the money grow on trees.It's been reported that all that was needed was $5.00 down and payments of $1.00 a week for one of his homes.

The three subdivisions: Clovernook, Meyerville and Sunshine, with a combined population of about 500 were united to form a village named North College Hill in 1916.

In 1916, the community had a population of about 500 and had incorporated. Village Council met at Williamson's Drug Store. A year later, a volunteer fire department was organized.With the advent and growing popularity of the automobile, the village grew, helped again by the promise of affordable housing. In the decade between 1920 and 1930, the population of the village exploded, going from about 1,100 to 4,100.
By 1941, when the population exceeded 5,000, the village incorporated as a city. The post-war years saw the population jump from close to 8,000 to 12,000 by 1960.

At just about two square miles, with little room to grow or develop, the city's population stabilized and even dropped to 11,000 with the the completion of Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway in the 1990's.

20 million people rely on AmericanTowns each year to find & share local information