Haverford Township

Address: 2325 Darby Road
Havertown, PA 19083
Phone: 610-446-1000
Haverford Township was laid out by William Penn as part of the Welsh Tract or Barony. In 1681, a representative group of Welsh Quakers met with Penn to discuss their settlement having purchased forty thousand acres of land which today comprises all of Haverford, Radnor and Lower Merion Townships. "Companies of Adventurers" were formed, with the most prominent person in each taking out the patent on 5,000 acres of land as trustee. The first three families arrived in Haverford Township in 1682. Lewis David, Henry Lewis and William Howell selected land along the southern border.The area was primarily agricultural until the second decade of the twentieth century. The census returns of 1860 show the value of livestock as $62,485.00; animals slaughtered $11,255.00; 46,049 bushels of grain harvested and the and the value of orchard and garden produce, $4,090.00.The two creeks that mark part of the township boundaries provided good millseats for the early settlers. On Darby Creek to the west, Richard Hayes Jr., David Morris and Samuel Lewis erected a gristmill, known as Haverford New Mill, in 1707. Later a sawmill was attached. This mill operated until 1904. Near the border with Marple Township, Humphrey Ellis operated a very early fulling mill. In 1807 Henry Lawrence built a sawmill on this site, and in 1832 his son, William, built a gristmill close by. The sawmill remained in the family ownership for more than 125 years, and is the oldest industry exant in Haverford Township.

Toward the eastern boundary, Cobb's Creek, called Karakung by the Indians, was the site of a number of mills. Haverford Mill was the first, a gristmill built by William Howell in 1658. Daniel Humphreys purchased the property in 1703 and built a sawmill and fulling and dyeing mill. These were added to Dennis Kelly's holding in 1826 and became the Castle Hill Mills. This site is just north of Eagle Road on the west bank of Cobb's Creek.About 1800 grist and sawmills were built on the headwaters of Cobb's Creek by Peter Brown, and in 1810 Jonathan Miller built grist and sawmills at what is now the Juncture of Mill Road and Karakung Drive.The first building erected for educational purposes was the Federal School, in 1797. During the 1800s four additional one-room schools and one parochial school were built. The latter part of the 19th century was the beginning of the present school system.After World War II, additions were made to existing schools, a new high school and three one-story elementary schools were built. Today there is one middle school, one senior high, five elementary schools, four parochial schools and four private schools.

Haverford College, the first College founded by the Society of Friends in the United States in 1833, has several historic structures on its 225-acre property.The township is primarily residential with retail and service businesses and some light industry. The largest industry is the Philadelphia Chewing Gum Corporation. There are two shopping centers, Manoa with 28 businesses and Pilgrim Gardens with about 12. The tallest buildings in the township are two apartment buildings of five stories. There are 237.5 acres of park, playground and recreation land, and 32.6 acres of Cobb's Creek Park owned by the City of Philadelphia. There are two private Swim Clubs.There is quite a mix of residential properties with single homes, duplex and some row homes. There are many pleasant treelined streets. Haverford Township is a great place to live.

20 million people rely on AmericanTowns each year to find & share local information