The Bronx Library Center is the largest public library in the Bronx, with extensive collections of print and non-print materials for adults, young adults, and children. The Latino and Puerto Rican Cultural Center is also housed here.
The Fordham Library Center of The New York Public Library opened to the public in 1923. Because of the need for expanded reference services for the borough, the Bronx Reference Center was added to the branch in 1931. By the 1950s the library had become overcrowded due to population growth in the area and the success of the Bronx Reference Center. The original building was renovated and the new and expanded Fordham reopened in 1956. The Fordham Library Center closed its doors in November 2005 to pave the way for the bigger and more beautiful Bronx Library Center which opened January 17, 2006.