The Community Theatre first opened its doors in 1920. An icon on the Fairfield landscape, the Community thrived as one of Fairfield County's finest entertainment destinations for eighty years. Generation after generation enjoyed the pictures that flashed on the big screen. The Community Theatre brought us the great silent films of the Roaring '20s, the classics from the golden age of Hollywood, the masterpieces of the 1940s and '50s, and on through the second half of the century.
Time passed. Multiplexes emerged on the landscape. The Community Theatre, struggling for survival, transformed itself into an art house cinema during the last years of the twentieth century before finally closing its box office window in the spring of 2001. No tickets were sold. No movies were shown. The marquee that had illuminated the center of Fairfield for eight decades remained dark until, in the autumn of that year, the light was rekindled and the Community Theatre Foundation was born.