The Mosholu Branch of The New York Public Library is located on 205th Street, adjacent to Whalen Park and the Perry Avenue exit of the "D" train. The branch's name comes from the Weckguasgeeck Indian word, mosholu, which has been interpreted to mean "smooth stones" or "small stones" and once described a local brook. The one-story structure of modern design which opened in 1955, houses adult, young adult, and children's collections. A 60-seat multi-use meeting room located in the basement of the library is available for community group meetings as well as library programs. A ramp provides access to the building, and an elevator goes to the lower level, where programs are held and wheelchair-accessible public restrooms are located.