The Parkchester branch of The New York Public Library serves a multiethnic neighborhood with a growing population of immigrants from India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Africa, and the Middle East.
The library offer books for all ages, as well as DVDs, CDs, and audiobooks. In addition, it has materials in various languages including English, Spanish, Bengali, French, Chinese, Urdu, and Hindi. We also offer English for Speakers of Other Languages as well as a TechConnect computer lab with classes taught in English, and select classes in Spanish and Bengali.
The two-floor, brick building features a semi-circular facade, which creates a recessed courtyard. The animal sculptures in the courtyard won the 1984 Annual New York City Art Commission Award. The 7,500-square-foot interior is air-conditioned and fully accessible to people who use wheelchairs. The branch began serving the Northeast section of the Bronx in 1942, when it was originally housed in the Parkchester Housing Development. In June 1985, the library moved to its present quarters along Westchester Avenue.