The beginning of St. Athanasios Greek Orthodox Church took its roots in the early 1900’s. Although not officially an established church, the first Greek immigrants who came to this "City of Lights," met their religious and cultural needs by attending All Saints Greek Orthodox Church in Joliet, Illinois, which was 25 miles from their homes and businesses. As early as the 1950’s plans were discussed for a church in Aurora. The needs of our community were made known and were recognized by Fr. Emmanuel Lionakis, then priest of All Saints in Joliet. In the early 1960’s Fr. held services once a month on Saturdays at the Trinity Episcopalian Church in Aurora. This dedication and commitment by the Aurora immigrants eventually led to the purchase of their first real church home. The Church was located at 228 E Galena Blvd., and in 1962 the Archdiocese granted the building, chapel status. Fr. George Kiricoples, then priest of All Saints in Elgin, Illinois, began a regular schedule of services every other Saturday. As time went on, the need for a full-time priest was becoming more evident, and on September 1, 1965, St. Athanasios received its Ecclesiastical Charter along with the assignment of Fr. Steve Zanis as their first full time Priest.