To inspire people to connect with the plant world and understand the importance of plants in our lives.
Prior to 1877, the eastern end of Mahncke Park was a limestone quarry and details of the quarry's operations are unknown. In 1877, J. B. LaCoste and Associates contracted with the City of San Antonio to construct a water works system. LaCoste and Associates sold the water company to G. W. Brackenridge in 1883 who later became convinced that there was danger of complete failure of the San Antonio River as a water supply in the event of a long period of drought. By 1890, city residents became alarmed at the possibility that the river and the open reservoir would become contaminated. As a result, wells supplying pure artesian water began to be used to the exclusion of the surface water supply system and the reservoir was abandoned. In 1899, Brackenridge deeded the water works land and properties to the City.
Mrs. R. R. Witt and Mrs. Joseph Murphy conceived the idea of a Botanical Garden in San Antonio in the 1940's. Together with their friends and associates, they organized the San Antonio Garden Center. Their first major effort was the development and presentation of a master plan for a public botanical garden in the late 1960's. The recommended future Botanical Garden site became the former Brackenridge waterworks land, property held by the City that was adjacent to the Garden Center.
Funding for ground work began in 1970, when voters approved $265,000 in bonds for the Garden. This money, along with a grant awarded five years later by the Ewing Halsell Foundation, other contributions from organizations and individuals and a significant grant from the Economic Development Administration helped pay for the project. Ground-breaking ceremonies were held on July 21, 1976. The official opening of the San Antonio Botanical Garden was May 3,1980.
Charted in 1980, the San Antonio Botanical Garden Society, Inc. is the 501 (c)(3) non-profit support organization specifically established in support of the San Antonio Botanical Garden. The mission of this organization is to support the San Antonio Botanical Garden in its role of inspiring people to connect with the world of plants and understand the importance of plants in our lives.
In this public/private partnership, the Botanical Society has brought major capital improvements to the Botanical Garden: the Lucile Halsell Conservatory, the Sullivan Carriage House, the Auld House, acquisition of Funston properties, Texas Native Trail revitalization, upgraded children's facilities, extensive landscape lighting and master planning. Community events sponsored by the Botanical Society (Shakespeare in the Park, Gardens by Moonlight, Concerts Under the Stars, Viva Botanica!, family days such as BOOtanica and Viva Botanica and plant sales) heighten public awareness of the Botanical Garden. Marketing and public relations efforts further extend the role of the Botanical Society in making the Botanical Garden a compelling attraction for the City of San Antonio.
The Mexican Consulate in San Antonio is proud to present the â€œWings of the Cityâ€ sculpture exhibit by world-renowned Mexican Artist Jorge MarÃn. â€œWings of the Cityâ€ is an urban art project that consists of eight monumental sculptures, includ…Read More »
See kid-sized, family-friendly Storybook Houses in this spring exhibit opening March 5. A partnership with AIA San Antonio, this engaging playhouse exhibit is the fourth collaboration between the Garden and area architects and designers. Sponsored by…Read More »
The San Antonio Botanical Garden is for the birds; GIANT birds, that is, six one-of-a-kind "human size" birdhouses will be on display for Garden visitors to explore inside and out. The Birdhouse Exhibit is part of an ongoing, award-winning partnershi…Read More »
The ChildrenÃ¢â¬â¢s Vegetable Garden Program at the San Antonio Botanical Garden is an opportunity for children to grow their own vegetables and ornamental plants with the help of instructors from the Texas A&M AgriLIFE Extension Service and Be…Read More »