In 1923, the first University Park school was constructed at Tuckerman Street and 44th Avenue. Today a private residence, our first school had two rooms and two teachers for grades 1-4. A brick school was built near the current location of the playground gazebo for 80 students and two teachers. By 1929, grades 1-6 were taught at the school, and the University Park PTA was established. Major additions were made in 1937 and 1952 as school enrollment grew.
The present building opened in 1978, and the old school was torn down. Major additions were made to the building in 1989 and 2000. The playground was expanded and improved in 1997, after the PTA won a design contest that funded the gazebo and new equipment.
Today University Park Elementary School (UPES) has a student enrollment of 627 -- with more students enrolling all the time. Our school serves families from University Park and the University of Maryland, plus sections of College Park, Adelphi and Hyattsville. The UPES student body is very diverse, with children from 25 countries represented.
UPES has been one of the county's top-performing schools for decades. We have an acclaimed music program and wonderful after school programs in fine arts and performing arts and languages. We have a very active PTA and strong ties to the community. We're proud of our students, teachers and staff and are delighted in your support of our school.