The library was begun in 1913 with a small donation of books. In 1914 an election was held and the library became an independent special district with an elected board of trustees. The library had the ability to set a tax rate for support. In July, 1985, the library was dissolved as a special district and became a department of the City of Yorba Linda; the Board became an advisory commission appointed by the City Council. The library retained its percentage of the local property tax as a continued means of support and currently receives 86% of its revenue from this property tax allocation.