Town Of Little Compton

Address: 40 Commons
Little Compton, RI 02837
Phone: 401-635-4400
Fax: 401-635-2470
Email:
Little Compton was incorporated as a part of Plymouth Colony in 1682, after having been settled by Captain Benjamin Church, the noted Indian fighter, and others seven years previously. In 1746, under Royal Decree, it was transferred to Rhode Island together with the Towns of Cumberland, Barrington, Bristol and Tiverton. The town was originally the home of the "Sagonate" or "Sakonnet" Indians, a particularly independent group of native Americans that fought with the settlers against the notorious King Philip,Sachem of the Wampanoags. King Philip waged a bloody war against the white settlers and tried to induce other neighboring tribes to join him. The southern end of the town bordering the Atlantic is still known as "Sakonnet". It was here that Captain Church cleared the area for settlement. Following the end of Indian hostilities, the small settlement in Little Compton enjoyed comparative peace and prosperity until a new threat arose; the British occupation of Newport during the Revolution. Foraging parties from the British garrison invaded Little Compton several times. The British raiders met with stiff resistance from the settlers, and were "bushwacked" several times as in the skirmish at the Taggart House. Today, Little Compton is a rural-farming community. It was in Little Compton that the famous Rhode Island Red, (a breed of fowl and the State Bird), was developed. Fishing is still a major industry in the town, as one can observe with the daily departure of the fishing fleet from the Sakonnet Wharf. The town has also developed into an ideal vacation spot with the traditional atmosphere of colonial New England.

Established in 1682, Incorporated in 1746
Form of Government: Five member Town Council headed by a Council President

20 million people rely on AmericanTowns each year to find & share local information