Charleston County Public Library

Address: 68 Calhoun Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-805-6930
Fax: 843-727-3741
Email:

About Us :

We are committed to continually identifying, evaluating and responding to your informational, educational, cultural and recreational needs. Our readily accessible, user designed services are provided by trained professional and support staff.

We promise to continue in our efforts to make the Charleston County libraries essential to the life of every person who seeks our services.

History:

The Charleston County Library was established in 1930 and formally opened on January 1, 1931. It was first housed in the Charleston Museum building. Within the first two days four hundred cards were issued and by the end of that February, 8,473 books had been circulated. The library's services expanded rapidly. In June, 1931, the first library branches were opened to make library materials accessible to all county residents. At the end of the first year the library had 9,705 members and had circulated 77,459 books. In 1935 the library had expanded rapidly and it was felt that a separate building was needed. In 1935 the library moved to its new quarters at 94 Rutledge Avenue. By 1954, the quarters at 94 Rutledge had also been outgrown and a public campaign to was launched for construction of a new headquarters library building. A bond issue was put before the voters by County Council and was passed with a large majority. A site was selected on Marion Square where the west wing of the old Citadel was located and the new headquarters building opened its door in November, 1960.

On Sunday, February 8, 1998, the library closed its doors at the 404 King Street address for the last time. A brand new library was built only a few blocks away at 68 Calhoun Street, the grand opening being held Tuesday, April 7, 1998.

Local Calendar

Recent News

20 million people rely on AmericanTowns each year to find & share local information