Charleston County Public Library - John L Dart Branch

Address: 1067 King Street
Charleston, SC 29403
Phone: 843-722-7550
Fax: 843-727-6784
History :

Dart Hall, which was later replaced by the John L. Dart Library, was one of the original library branches established in 1931. Dart Hall existed as a library for many years before the Charleston County Library adopted it as a branch. Dart Hall was originally built as the Charleston Industrial Normal Institute by the Rev. John L. Dart, a distinguished educator and a leading minister of the city.

His daughter, Susan Dart Butler, founded Dart Hall. She had long felt the need for library services for the African American population of Charleston. She opened, in 1927, a reading room at Dart Hall for the African American public. This room was operated at Mrs. Butler's expense until the opening of the Dart Hall Branch of the Charleston Free Library in July, 1931. The existence of this reading room favorably impressed the leaders of the Rosenwald Fund when they were considering making funds available for the establishment of the Free Library. The Dart family gave the use of the building to the County for the sum of $1.00 a year rent. From 1931 until 1952 three large rooms were made available. In December, 1952, Charleston County purchased Dart Hall.

The present John L. Dart Library was built by County Council in 1968 and was named in honor of the late Rev. John L. Dart. Dedication exercises were held on December 12, 1968, with members of the Dart family present.

Recent News

  • Teen Poetry Slam Relocated To Dart Library

    The Teen Poetry Performance and Slam  at the John L Dart Branch Library, 1067 King Street instead of the College of Charleston’s Wachovia Auditorium. The date and time remain the same. Middle and high school students will celebrate National Poetry Month by exchanging ...

    More Info

20 million people rely on AmericanTowns each year to find & share local information