Town of Pleasant View

Address: 6365 Highway 41-A
Pleasant View, TN 37146
Phone: 615-746-0600
Fax: 615746-0699
Email:
Pleasant View, located in the northern part of Cheatham County, was formerly known as "Bradley's Stand," as well as, "Turnbull Horse Stamp." The mail and telegraph lines ran from Clarksville to Nashville, the Town of Pleasant View served as a stagecoach stop and rest area between the two cities.

The Town was named Pleasant View by a group of citizens in 1870. The first post office was in operation in 1880. The first postmaster's salary was $12.00 per year and escalated to $300.00 per year by 1911. The first rural delivery of mail was made in 1909.

In 1886, Pleasant View had a population of nearly 300 people and had emerged as the seat of tobacco factories, as well as, a large loose leaf tobacco market.

Prior to 1850, children were schooled at home. From 1850 to around 1870, children were taught in 2 homes located in Pleasant View. The first school building was erected in 1870 on five acres dedicated to the Pleasant View Academy, more commonly referred to as "The Highland Institute." Students could attend the Institute at no cost for 5 months of the year. Students who attended the Institute beyond the 5 months were charged $3.00 per month per student.

The Citizens Bank was established in Pleasant View in 1905 and by 1920 had capitol stock, surplus, and undivided profits of $22, 000.00. This bank survived until 1958.

20 million people rely on AmericanTowns each year to find & share local information