Town Of Addison
Working together to provide and protect an enhanced quality of life for our community and each other through a balance of personalized service, uncompromising commitment, and individualized accountability.
The Town of Addison is located in an area once called Peters Colony. It was settled as early as 1846 when Preston Witt built a house on White Rock Creek. The area was not known as Addison until 1902. Addison was named after Addison Robertson, who served as the community's second postmaster from 1908-1916. In 1902, the first industry was introduced to Addison when a cotton gin was built on Addison Road, near the railroad, by the Pistole brothers. It became the Plano Cotton Oil Mill in 1904 and the Farmers Gin of Addison in 1919.
Addison was named after Addison Robertson, who served as the community's second postmaster from 1908-1916.
The City of Addison was incorporated on June 15, 1953, under an alder-manic form of government and was changed to the "Town of Addison" in 1982. Addison's first Mayor was M.W. Morris and the aldermen were Guy Dennis, Robert W. Wood, J.E. Julian, Jr., Dr. H.T. Nesbit and Seldon Knowles.
In 1975, an election to allow liquor by the drink served in town was a major attribute to the expansion of businesses and restaurants. All combined, Addison's restaurants and eating establishments can seat over 20,000 patrons at one time.
In 1978, the Town of Addison constructed its first town park, and by 1980 an aggressive beautification program was under way. Today, Addison's 118 acres of parks are some of the finest in Texas, each uniquely themed and beautifully landscaped.
During the late 1970's and early 1980's, Addison experienced explosive growth. Today, the business and daytime population typically reaches up to 100,000 a day.