McKinney Falls State Park lies in the center of an early Texas land grand that originally fell within the empresario contract of Texian hero Ben Milam.
Ten leagues of land were transferred in 1832 to Santiago Del Valle, who at the at time was secretary of the Mexican government of Coahuila Y Texas and had previously served as a member of the Mexican Congress.
In 1835 Del Valle sold nine leagues of his land to Michel Menard, who in 1838 helped found the town of Galveston.
Thomas F. McKinney, one of the Menard's business associates, purchased the Del Valle grant in 1839. His family probably was the first of the property owners to live on the land, which they began to occupy during the late 1840s. McKinney had sold all the but approximately 2,800 acres of the land by the time of his death in 1873.
The lands within the Santiago Del Valle grant remained primarily agricultural during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Communities such as Bluff Springs, Pilot Knob, Creedmoor, and Del Valle began to develop during this period. While the northern part of the Del Valle grant has become increasingly urbanized, the southern portion remains largely rural, and is preserved in this State Park.
After James O. Rice settled in the 1850s near a spring-fed pond, the area was called “Pond Springs”. By 1854 a log school building was erected near the pond (1 Mi. N) and also served for worship and a social center. Thomas S. Rutledge ran a nearby store, post office and blacksmith shop. After the post office closed in 1880 and the Austin & Northwestern Railroad bypassed Pond Springs in 1882, the community declined. The school was consolidated in 1903 with Jollyville, moved to this site in 1927, and became part of the Round Rock district in 1969.Read More...
First settlers in this area on Decker Creek were Swedish immigrants, who attended church in Austin from 1867 to 1870s.
Beginning in 1871, the Rev. C.C. Charnquist of Austin preached in homes. With advent of more settlers, a church was erected and dedicated at Pentecost, 1879.
In 1882, a public school was opened. In 1884, the church was enlarged and parsonage built.
In the pastorate (1901-02) of the Rev. C.O. Freeman, the present sanctuary was erected. The large modern wing was added in 1967.
Participated in the disturbance at Anahuac June, 1832 and the storming and capture of Bexar, December 5 to 10, 1835. Born in North Carolina February 20, 1801. Died in Goliad County, Texas March 4, 1881.
Eliza Hancock Shipman
Wife of Daniel Shipman. Born December 22, 1813. Died in Goliad County, Texas September 11, 1858.
Marker can be reached from the intersection of 11th St and Congress Ave.Read More...
Marker is on West Avenue near West Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.Read More...
Marker is at the intersection of Congress Avenue and East 9th Street, on the right when traveling south on Congress Avenue.Read More...