The Lugo Ranch
Location: Marker is on Jefferson Boulevard east of Cota Street, on the right when traveling north.
City/State: Culver City, California
The Lugos, a Spanish landgrant family, arrived in the pueblo de Nuestra Senora La Reina de Los Angeles in the 1700's and settled prior to 1900 on this site. This was originally a portion of Rancho La Ballona which was established by the Machados.
Mercurial and Rita Reyes Lugo raised eight children here and remained until their deaths. Mercurial farmed, acted as water-overseer and was the unofficial lawman prior to the incorporation of Culver City in 1917.
This marker is dedicated to the memory of their youngest son, Charles Reyes Lugo, a founding member of the Culver City Historical Society.