Business and Professional
March 13, 2017
â€‹As Alexandria braces for Winter Storm Stella's arrival, AT&T has some tips to help residents stay safe and connected during the storm. While many have prepared by stocking up on groceries, shovels and emergency supplies, residents should also make sure their smartphones are fully charged.
Smartphones are critical for those who lose power they can be lifelines during emergencies, provide you with the latest storm news and help keep you in touch with family and friends.
Here are some other tips from AT&T to help you stay safe and connected:
- Become An Amateur Storm Tracker: Use weather apps, like AccuWeather, The Weather Channel, Weatherbug or Weathermob to track the storm.
- Take Advantage of Emergency Services Apps: Download apps like FEMA or Winter Survival Kit, which will help you find your current location, call 911, notify your friends and family, calculate how long you can run your engine to keep warm and help you stay safe from carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Keep Your Phone Charged: Make sure all of your devices and backup battery boosters are charged before the storm arrives.
- Use Text Messaging: During an emergency, text messages go through quicker than voice calls because they require less system resources. Text messages also use less battery than phone calls.
- Use Your Phone As A Flashlight: Use your device's special features or download an app to turn your phone into an effective flashlight this is extremely useful during a power outage.