Schools and Libraries
April 21, 2017From: Madeira City Schools
- Madeira High School invites parents and community members to a special preview of After Prom 2017. This year's theme, Adventure is Out There, combines the whimsical side of the Disney/Pixar classic "Up" and exciting international destinations. The preview will be held at MHS this Saturday, April 22 from 6:15-7:30 PM. Come see what our dedicated volunteers have created to ensure our high school students experience a safe and fun Prom.
- The MES Fourth Grade Student Leaders are joining families together to clean up Madeira! On April 22, Earth Day, projects such as spreading mulch, picking up trash, raking leaves, weeding or planting flowers will be completed in parks and yards to help neighbors. If you or someone you know could use some outdoor help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 587-0008. Thank you from the Fourth Grade Student Leaders.
- The Madeira City Schools and the Madeira community are comprised of dedicated and involved individuals who regularly go beyond the expected, who have the attitude of not being satisfied with the status quo, but of going the extra mile. The "I Make a Difference Award" was created to recognize the extraordinary contribution of these people. Spring 2017 nominations are due May 5 and can be submitted online or via mail. All information and links can be found at Tell us Who Goes the Extra Mile.
- If you are interested in placing a bid on any of the rain barrels painted by our Madeira Middle School artists, please see Save Local Waters. The Cincinnati Zoo Rain Barrel Online Auction is open until 8 PM on April 20 during the last hour of the Party for the Planet. Party for the Planet is a free event at the Zoo: Cincinnati Zoo
- The Madeira High School Athletic Hall of Fame is accepting nominations for its 2017 induction class in three different categories; former athlete, former coach, or past or present contributor to the athletic program. Nominations are due by June 1; accomplishments must be from Madeira High only. Please see Hall of Fame Nomination. The Hall of Fame is sponsored by the Madeira High Athletic Boosters.
- Save the date! Saturday, August 5 the second annual Madeira Family Olympics will be held at McDonald Commons Park. Neighborhoods will form teams and choose countries before participating in games and events for all ages. There will again be a Madeira Family Olympics T-shirt Design Contest with all profits being donated to Matthew 25 Ministries in memory of Matthew Theobald. The design is to be on the front of the shirt only, one color ink (white or black), and must have some kind of design element with the wording Madeira Family Olympics (no date), #matthewslight. Designs can be hand or computer-drawn but MUST BE ORIGINAL! All designs must be submitted electronically (pdf or vector format) by Monday, June 6 to KellyReedWing@gmail.com
- Twenty-five MHS students raised $1,800 by raising money through Magnified Giving, an educational organization whose goal is to magnify the impact of philanthropy. Students made presentations for causes they selected to a group of MHS staff judges, who voted the following organizations will receive the funds. Presented by students Maddie Faris, Angela Hunt, and Samantha Tanen, the third place prize of $250 was awarded to Voice for the Innocent. In second place and presented by Izzy Evans, Cora Fanselow, Calin Petro, Hope Shull, and Megan Wu, $550 was awarded to Boys and Girls Club of Greater Cincinnati. The winning organization, Ronald McDonald House, will receive a $1,000 grant. Presenters for the winning team were by Samantha Blackwelder, Maria Daniel, Alex Kucewicz, Sheridan Moore, and Ali Seibert. Grant checks will be awarded to the non-profits at the May 8 Magnified Giving awards ceremony at Mayerson JCC. Maddie Faris and Megan Wu will also receive the Roger Grein Spirit of Philanthropy Award at the ceremony for extraordinary work with Magnified Giving.
- Madeira Athletic Director Joe Kimling has been awarded the SWOADA Jim Rolfes Professional Development Award by the Southwest Ohio Athletic Directors Association. He received the award for his work in the area of Professional Development.