Schools and Libraries
March 3, 2015From: Madeira City Schools
We hope to see you at one of the many outstanding activities going on in Madeira Schools this month; an Amazon or Mustang competition, one of six performances of our spring play Children of Eden, the 30th anniversary of the Madeira Schools Foundation Auction, and any of the events listed here or on our website:www.madeiracityschools.org. Great things are happening here!
- We invite you to see our talented students perform in the Madeira Theatre Arts' spring musical Children of Eden, a two-act musical play based on the Book of Genesis. Performances are March 26, 27, & 28 at 7:30 pm with a matinee March 28 at 2 pm. Our special Senior Citizen Day will be March 25 beginning with coffee and doughnuts at 9 am followed by a free performance at 10. An optional $5 lunch will follow the play; please call 891-8222 for reservations. Tickets for evening and matinee community performances are $10 and are available at Children of Eden tickets. All performances will be held in Medert Auditorium. This is a correction to the information in the Madeira city newsletter.
- Make your reservations now for the annual Madeira Schools Foundation auction on Saturday, March 14. This year's 30th anniversary theme is "Diamonds and Denim" and will be held in the St. Gertrude Parish Center from 6 - 11:45 pm. Registration and bidding is open now at 2015 MSF Auction. If you have questions or would like to donate to the auction, please contact Troy Bartson at email@example.com, Angie Schilling at firstname.lastname@example.org or Dave Eberly atDEberly@emclawyers.com.
- The MES PTO's Spring "Changing Hands" children's consignment sale will be held Saturday, March 7 from 9 am - 1 pm. 30% of the sale's proceeds of deeply discounted brand-name children's clothes, toys, games, books, accessories, play equipment, and more go to support the school's PTO and help fund outstanding programs such as Got Art and Young Author's night. Contact email@example.com with any questions and for up-to-date announcements, follow them on Facebook and Twitter or see http://www.changinghandssale.com.
- Help us celebrate the excellence that is Madeira Schools by nominating an educator for "Madeira Educator of the Year." For more information and the nomination form please see Celebrate Excellence. Nominations are due by 4 pm Friday, March 20.
- Come support our MHS winter guard at their competition at Milford HS this Saturday, March 7. They perform at 4 pm, but plan to come when their class starts at 3:20 to see the schools they compete against. Stay after their class to see the even bigger schools compete!
- Parents, students and friends are invited to cheer MMS student Diego Arrendondo at the WCPO News Channel 9 Region II Spelling Bee at CHCA's Lindner Theatre Saturday, March 28 8:30 am --5 pm. There is no admission charge to this event but space is limited so plan to arrive early. The Spelling Bee TV Special is scheduled to air on WCPO-TV Channel 9 on Thursday, April 16, 7-8 pm. Good luck, Diego!
- In partnership with the Hamilton County Educational Service Center and Southwestern Ohio Coordinators of Gifted, the 3rd Annual Parent Resource Fair will be held Saturday, March 7 at Madeira High School from 9 am until noon. There will be six free parenting workshops geared towards parents of gifted children along with summer camp fair vendors. Register at Parent Resource Fair by March 6 and for more information call 513-674-4233.
- The MMS Math Counts Team participated at the Cincinnati Math Counts Competition along with over 350 participants. Madeira student Ben Fisk qualified for State finishing in 17th place, Zhou-nan Huang in 30th place, Anne Shull in 58th place, and the team placing 9th out of 46 teams.
- REMINDER: March 11 all schools will be in session following their regular schedules with no early dismissal.
- The Mustang basketball team will take on CHCA in the Sectional tournament at Loveland HS on Tuesday, March 3 at 6 pm. $6 tickets are available in the athletic office during regular school hours or are $7 at the door.
- The still-undefeated Amazon basketball team will take on Anna in the District tournaments at Springfield HS on March 7 at 1 pm. Tickets are also available in the athletic office or at the door.
- The MHS swim team finished 7th overall in this weekend's OHSAA State Swim Meet, the highest finish ever by a Madeira boys swim team! Chet Dobson, Jack Mantkowski, Ryan Stevenson and Alex Fortman placed 5th in the 200 Medley and 200 Free Relays, setting school records in both. Chet Dobson placed 17th in the 100 Fly, Jack Mantkowski finished 9th in the 100 free, Alex Fortman placed 7th in the 100 Fly and Ryan Stevenson placed 5th in the 100 Breaststroke. The 400 free relay team was just out touched at the wall for a close second overall; another new school record!
- The Amazon basketball team has been nominated for the Ohio National Guard JJHuddle Girls BKB Team of the Year Award. Vote at Amazon Basketball until noon on March 18.