Schools and Libraries
May 9, 2015From: Madeira City Schools
- The Top Seniors from this year's graduating class announced their future plans at the school's annual Academic Day of Signing on May 5. A record 35 students will graduate with a GPA of 4.0 or above. Congratulations to Megan Almquist (University of Missouri ), Sarah Andrews (Ball State University), Frannie Barone (The Ohio State University), Robin Blocksom (University of Alabama), Mia Chawner (Franciscan University of Steubenville), Austin Cross (University of Cincinnati), Evan Cummings (Case Western Reserve University), Will Dinnen (Case Western Reserve University), Ben Elsbrock (The Ohio State University), Travis Freytag - Valedictorian (Butler University), Madeline Gelis (The Ohio State University), Jack Good - Valedictorian (Purdue University), Emily Heisser - Salutatorian (Miami University), Grace Hill (Ball State University), Mallory Kline (University of Dayton), Sarah Letscher (The Ohio State University), Jake Lorusso (University of Dayton), Jack Mantkowski (The Ohio State University), Audrey Mauch (University of Cincinnati), Maddie McDonough - Salutatorian (Purdue University), Maggie Nachtrab (The Ohio State University), Taylor Reid (Miami University), Audrey Ruxton (Rose Hulman Institute of Technology), Lydia Seiter (Ohio University), Michael Shull (Brigham Young University - Provo), Kristian Snyder (Undecided), Nick Theis (Clemson University), Caroline Thomas (The Ohio State University), Kelly Thomas (University of Kentucky), Graham Tschieder (The Ohio State University), Jake VonHoene (Miami University), Lindsey Wagner (The Ohio State University), Elaine Waters (University of Cincinnati), Gus Wulsin (The Ohio State University) and Zach Zeisler (Mercer University). For a photo please see TOP SENIORS.
- Our community is taking on a major project to improve the lives of our students; an overhaul of the current high school weight room. The existing 700 sq ft facility is too small to adequately support our student athletes and student body. The new MHS Fitness Center will be approximately 3500 sq ft, have state of the art equipment, high ceilings, walls of windows, more cardio equipment, cross fit space and sound system. This new space will not only improve our sports teams but also create a space that the entire student body can use to improve their fitness and well being. Please visitwww.mhsfitnesscenter.com for details on how you can help.
- MHS student Samantha Eberly and her dance team the Midwest cheer elite Swagkatz performed at Dance Worlds at Disney in Orlando. The team brought home a globe and was interviewed by USASF, the organization that sponsors Worlds.
- Congratulations to Mallory Kline, who has been name an OH Lottery - Shining Star! Click on this link to watch the interview with Mallory CITY BEAT TV.
- A feature on Madeira Amazon Robin Blocksom will be featured on High School Sports Insider, a weekly, half-hour TV show of highlights and features on Ohio high school student/athletes and teams. On Cable:Time Warner Cable SportsChannel (Channel 311, 1311 in HD), all week at these times: http://bit.ly/TWCSCShows; On Broadcast TV: WBNX TV, The CW, Sunday at Noonb(www.wbnx.com) or Online: CityBeat-TV.com, Next Week www.citybeat-tv.com
*All Madeira sponsored summer youth camps are now open for registration. Please see SUMMER OPPORTUNITIES.
- Need a gift for your favorite Madeira student? Visit Madeiramusic.com to view and order spirit items, including genuine Tervis tumblers, directly from your Madeira Music Boosters. You can also support the music program and customize your spiritwear by clicking the link to Rokkitwear! Use code RELAX15 to save 15% thru 5/31/15 at Rokkitwear. See MADEIRA SPIRITWEAR for details.
- Jennifer Jordan's personal finance student teams placed in the top ten in the State of Ohio Personal Finance Challenge, and will compete in a multiple round quiz bowl Columbus. The winning team moves on to represent the state of Ohio at the national personal finance competition.
- Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School is hosting a Substance Use Awareness forum for students, parents and community members. This night is designed to begin the conversation about substance use and the effects drugs and alcohol can have on a person's life; from their ability to get an education, to seek and maintain a living-wage job, as well as legal, financial and health issues. They will provide resources to help individuals and their families that may be suffering from substance use. The program will begin at 7 PM in Crawford Auditorium with short presentations from The Deer Park Police Department, The Deer Park/Silverton Fire and EMS, Local Medical Professionals, Local Individuals in Recovery and Talbert House. Afterwards there will be free refreshments and sub sandwiches, a meet and greet with our presenters and information on area resources.
Monday, May 11 from 7-8 PM
Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School, 8351 Plainfield Road, Cincinnati, OH 45236