Schools and Libraries
January 22, 2018From: Madeira City Schools
- Children of Madeira residents that will be five (5) years old on or before September 30, 2018, are eligible to be registered for Kindergarten for the 2018-2019 school year using our online process. There are three important steps in the process: 1) A pre-registration survey link is on our website for parents to identify their preferences for the 2018-2019 school year. 2) The online registration will be active the week of February 20 and all forms should be completed by March 2, 2018. 3) After completing the online portion, please call Sonja Burniston at 985-6080 to schedule a 10-minute registration meeting to review your paperwork and finalize your child’s kindergarten registration. Please visit 2018-2019 Kindergarten for all links and a full description of the process and required documents. We are excited to welcome the graduating class of 2032!
- This is a great opportunity for new families to meet the staff and learn about what makes the Madeira Preschool a great place for kids. A registration link at 2018-2019 Preschool will be active January 22 at 6 AM. Placements will be given to currently enrolled students, siblings, staff, and past Madeira Preschool families. Once these placements are made, new families will be placed based on availability. When there is a waiting list within the programs, placements will be made based on the date/time stamp of when online registrations were received. Children must be three years old by August 31, 2018 to attend. For questions about Preschool, contact MaryAnn McPherson at 272-4143 or email@example.com.
- Congratulations to twelve Madeira High School art students who had their artwork acknowledged in this year’s National Scholastic Art Competition, as winners in the Regional competition. Yvonne Colson (Ceramics & Glass Gold Key), Mollie McGuire (Mixed Media Silver Key, Drawing & Illustration Honorable Mention, and Drawing & Illustration Gold Key), Zeinebou Semane (Two Photography Honorable Mentions), Rhys Blackmore (Digital Art Honorable Mention, Two Digital Art Gold Keys and Digital Art Silver Key), Maria Flores (Painting Gold Key), Rachel Schiller (Photography Honorable Mention), Avery Slusher (Painting Silver Key), Jennifer Whitt (Photography Honorable Mention), Carly Hyatt (Photography Honorable Mention), Elliott Magenheim (Digital Art Silver Key), and Alexander Miller (Mixed Media Gold Key, Drawing & Illustration Silver Key and Digital Art Silver Key) will have their work exhibited at the Art Academy of Cincinnati from January 29 - February 9. An awards ceremony will be held on Friday, February 9. Gold Key recipients go on to compete for national medals in an exhibit that culminates with the National Awards Ceremony at Carnegie Hall in New York, NY. The annual Scholastic Art Awards is the nation’s longest-running, most prestigious recognition initiative for creative students (grades 7-12) and the largest source of scholarships for young artists and writers.
- This Saturday’s Amazon home basketball game against Mariemont will be an official 'Layups for Lauren' game, with pregame and halftime presentations, along with basket raffles. The JV game begins at 12 PM, Varsity at 1:30. For more about 'Layups for Lauren', see www.thecurestartsnow.org.
- For board approved 2018-2019 district school dates, please see Board Approved 2018-2019 Dates.
- The Music Boosters are holding a fundraiser at Jersey Mike’s Subs in Kenwood, where you can enjoy a delicious sub for lunch or dinner and support Madeira’s excellent music program. From Saturday, January 20 through Tuesday, January 23 regular size subs are $3.00 each 10 AM - 9 PM with a discount card. The cards are available in the main office at the high school or from Lori Adams, Kristin Anderson or Tina Gutierrez.
- Help support the MHS Baseball Team by attending, sponsoring or donating to the annual bowling fundraiser. The event is scheduled for February 24 at Crossgate Lanes. See 2018 Bowling Fundraiser for more information and sponsorship forms.
- While an unexpected early dismissal from school will be the last resort, we want you to be aware of our emergency weather procedures in advance. Please see Weather Alert Information.