Schools and Libraries
October 13, 2015From: Madeira City Schools
The first quarter is nearly over, "walk to school day" is this week, and life at the middle school continues to be busy and good! This week we had an early release day for staff development and I would like to share with you some of the things we discussed in our department meetings.
- We met in departments to look at MAP (Measures of Academic Progress) data and connect the reading portion to the teaching of informational text and acquisition of vocabulary in the content areas (supports our literacy goals).
- We used department time to look at the vertical connections between grades and the content, skills, processes, and vocabulary students are to master to check our alignment at the end of the first quarter.
- Teachers shared specific questioning strategies they had used to promote higher levels of thinking within classes.
- - One of the things research shows is students will have more ownership of questions they create. Teachers have been working with students on creating questions that they gain from previewing text and how this helps define a purpose for reading and additional research.
- - Strengthening our questioning strategies provides more enrichment or "stretch" for our students.
We also continue to meet in grade level meetings each Thursday to discuss curricular connections at each specific grade level as well as any issues relating to student life at the grade level. These times are important for us as we seek to improve our delivery of instruction and provide a strong school climate for learning.
Other School News
- Walk to School day is October 14th this Wednesday. We hope we will have a good number of walkers so far the weather forecast looks to be good!
- Parent-Teacher Conferences are the next two weeks! If you have not scheduled them yet, here is the information for you to go online and select a time:
- - Monday, October 19th, Wednesday, October 21st, Tuesday, October 27th, and Thursday, October 29th.
- - All conferences will be from 3:30 until 7:30 p.m.
- - Here is the link: www.ptcfast.com/schools/Madeira_Middle_School
- Picture Retakes will be next week on October 20th. Please have your child bring his or her picture packet (fully intact) to school that day if you would like the picture retaken. The photographer will also take pictures of anyone absent from school on the earlier picture day.
The fall parties are fast approaching and we want to highlight this information again for you. We are grateful to our PTO parents for organizing these fun activities for the students!
7th and 8th Graders! D.J. Glow Party!
Friday, October 23, 7:30 PM-9:30 PM
MMS Gym and Cafeteria
Wear white and glow in the dark!
Plus! Rolling Video Game Truck and Photo Booth
Music with DJ in the gym
Pizza, Snacks, Lots of Food!
$7 Admission Fee - Pay at the Door
Enter school at student drop-off circle entrance. No student will be permitted to leave early unless a parent comes into school to pick up student.
Contact: Peggy Nachtrab, Mechelle Hyatt, Betsy Schneider
5th/6th Graders! Halloween Party - Wear a Costume!
Friday October 30, Right After School - 3:00PM-4:30PM
Food, games, music, fun!
$5 Admission Fee. Tickets will be sold at the door and also during lunch 2 days prior to party.
Students can bring costume in their backpack. Teachers will allow students to change into costumes at the end of the day prior to the party.
Parents should pick up students at student drop-off circle. No student will be allowed to leave prior to the end of party unless a parent comes into school to pick up student.