Arts and Entertainment
November 11, 2014
Tickets are now on sale for the biennial Glendale Holiday Home Tour on Saturday, December 6, from 12:00- 5:00 p.m. This year, six private homes, built during the years 1869 2007, will be featured along with the Glendale Lyceum and Glendale Community Library. Every venue will be decorated for the holiday season. Tickets for the Glendale Holiday Home Tour are $20 in advance and available at Bluebird Bakery, A Village Gift Shop, and the Half Day CafÃ© carry out window in Wyoming. Day of event tickets are $25 and available at the Harry Whiting Brown (HWB) Community Center, 205 E. Sharon Road, or at the Glendale Lyceum, 865 Congress Avenue. Each ticket includes a printed program, free parking at the Glendale Lyceum and HWB Community Center, shuttle service to each location and refreshments at the HWB Community Center. Proceeds from the Holiday Home Tour benefit the Harry Whiting Brown Community Center and the many public programs they offer throughout the year. For more information, visit www.hwbcommunitycenter.org or call 513-771-3331.
Designated a National Historic Landmark by the National U.S. Department of the Interior, the Village of Glendale is one of the earliest American communities laid out on the irregular "picturesque" plan, derived from cemetery design, as opposed to the rectangular grid then commonly used. Known for the diversity of its trees, public green spaces, and sweeping lawns and gardens, the Village of Glendale also holds the distinction of being the first planned railroad commuter town in the nation. The old train station now houses the Glendale Historic Preservation museum and gift shop, which is open to the public from 11:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m. on Thursdays and Saturdays. Established in 1855, the picturesque village is also the birthplace and former home of William Cooper Procter, the grandson of Procter & Gamble co-founder William Procter.
The stops on this year's Glendale Holiday Home Tour are described below:
The Harry Whiting Brown Community Library (circa 1869)
The Douglas-Giaque House reflects the Italianate style in its vertical proportions and tall windows. Although the house first belonged to F. M. Douglas, the house's most notable owner was Florien Giaque, who was superintendent of the Glendale School (1869-75) and mayor of the Village (1882-84). Upon his death in 1929, the house was purchased and donated to the Village for community use as a memorial to the late Harry Whiting Brown, a prominent citizen and founder of the local Boy Scout troop. It's now the home of The Harry Whiting Brown (HWB) Community Center and Library.
The McLaren House (1869)
Built by Daniel DeCamp for Mr. and Mrs. Daniel McLaren and completed in 1869, this two-and-a-half story brick structure is a composite of architectural styles. An original wrought iron balcony surrounds the front bay, with a linked loop railing on the second floor balcony. The front door has intricate moldings and carvings. The interior, complete with elaborate plaster ceiling moldings, mahogany staircase and ten fireplaces are like the exterior, in excellent original condition. Since Mr. McLaren was superintendent of the railroad, the train engineer would be sure to let him off in front of his house instead of at the depot, several yards down the tracks.
Oak Avenue House (circa 1920)
This late Victorian four square house was built for Susanna Manley, who owned the property until 1951. A minor kitchen fire in 1934, led to a major remodeling of the first floor. The property had eight subsequent owners from 1951-1990. The current owner's great grandfather owned Crown Staffordshire potteries in England, which was later sold to Wedgewood. Enjoy the collection of Crown Staffordshire porcelain flowers and birds in the dining room cabinets, the collection of glass floats in the living room and the collection of antique Folgers cans in the study.
The William Mercer Allen House (1928)
Builder Stanley Allen's father in law owned the land along Van Nes Drive and divided it into lots for each of his three daughters. This beautiful three-story red brick colonial home sits on 1.8 of that divided acreage. The house was then passed on to Stanley's son William Allen in the 1950s. William and his family enjoyed the home for many years, and added a sunroom onto the house in the 1980s. The house was recently renovated in 2011 by the current owners. Major updates include an updated an expanded kitchen, new electrical/HVAC systems and landscaping.
The Lyford House (circa 1880)
Only eight families have owned this Colonial Revival house in its entire 130+ year history, and it retains many of the original charming features, such as classic detailed window, door and baseboard trim, original wood stairs and floors (upstairs), cast iron fireplace surround, ceiling medallions, and slate roof. The current owners purchased the house in 2004, and in 2013; a late summer storm with extremely high bursts of wind blew over a large oak tree in the front yard, which landed on the roof. The impact of the tree caused the east wall of the house to detach from the north wall, revealing old balloon framing. It appeared the house was destroyed, however the owners were dedicated to restoring it to its original charm and spent the next year working with various contractors to create what exists today.
The Glendale Lyceum (1891)
Built by Robert Clarke, a publisher and book collector, Glendale was then considered a cultural wasteland and Clarke wanted a place for members to gather, discuss current events, read the latest books and host social functions. Through the years, the Glendale Lyceum has continued to provide cultural, social and sporting events for its members and guests. The facility's charm and convenient location make it a popular site for weddings, receptions and meetings. William Cooper Procter and family were one of the original members.
The I. & R. Sears House (1923)
Built by Clara Bell Sears, she deeded the property to her daughters Isabel and Ruby in 1934. The house is a rare example of a Bungalow style house in Glendale. It is of frame construction with cedar shingle siding and copper gutters on much of the first level. It was clearly designed for maxi- mum cross-ventilation with windows and doors everywhere, including two sets of French doors in the living room. Toward the back of the property is a building that is too small to be a carriage house and too large to be a shed. Once used as a playhouse for children, several long-time Glendale residents report playing in the "dream house."
Federal-style Center Hall Colonial (2007)
Built by the current owners, the home was designed to look "old" but utilize modern green building practices. It's designed to be partially passive solar, with plenty of windows to let in natural light on the south, east, and western sides of the house. Pocket and swinging doors were used wherever possible to maintain a historic feel. The lower level floors are heated with radiant heat throughout. Custom Christmas lights that plug directly into the sill are in each window, and all are set on one timer to go on and off at the same time. In addition, there is a guest suite above the garage.
2014 Glendale Holiday Home Tour
Saturday, December 6
12:00 noon 5:00 p.m.
$20 in advance tickets sold at A Village Gift Shop, Bluebird Bakery and Half Day CafÃ©
$25 day of event tickets sold at Glendale Lyceum and HWB Community Library
Ticket includes: free parking, shuttle service, printed program, refreshments