Schools and Libraries
March 1, 2014From: Madeira City Schools
- Wednesday, March 5 is an early release date for students. Release times will be: MHS 1 pm, MMS 1:30 pm and MES 2 pm.
- The Madeira Schools Foundation is pleased to announce that Sarah Mizelle has joined the organization as the new MSF Executive Director. Mizelle will be actively involved in all functions of the Foundation from fundraising and development to governance and finance. One major focus will be to build and enhance relationships with alumni, community members and other supporters. The new position incorporates the Foundation's Executive Director and Development Director positions and will be funded by the Foundation. For the full press release please see MSF Executive Director.
- Registration is now open for the 29th annual Madeira Schools Foundation auction, "Madeira Gras," which will be held on Saturday, March 15 in the St. Gertrude Parish Center from 6 pm until 11:45 pm. Join more than 350 Madeira supporters to enjoy a catered Cajun dinner and bid on fabulous donated items and raffle prizes including vacation trips, sporting event tickets, unique experiences, class items and much more. The auction is the school district's largest fundraiser; proceeds from the evening support continued excellence in Madeira schools. This year the auction is going digital. Registration and bidding will take place online, and you will be able to browse items on our auction web site, bid on selected items starting March 1, and finalize your bids on March 15 whether you attend or not. For information on how to register, purchase raffle tickets and get ready to bid please see 2014 MSF Auction Information.
- Former Madeira City Schools Maintenance Director Jeff Smith will share highlights from his recent journey as an Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker at the Madeira Branch Library, 7200 Miami Avenue, on Saturday, March 1 at 1:00 pm. For Jeff's blog of the hike, please see http://hikersmith.blogspot.com.
- The Madeira City Schools Planning Commission (PC) is surveying graduates from 2006 through 2010 to evaluate their experiences at Madeira High School and determine how they felt they were prepared for college and work. Results of the survey will help PC make specific suggestions or recommendations to enhance the overall high school experience of current and future students. The survey will take 3 to 5 minutes to complete. All responses and input will be kept confidential and graduates' identity is anonymous. Participants are requested to complete the survey prior to March 5, 2014. Graduates of the Madeira High School classes of 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 may access the survey at MHS '06-'10 Survey.
- Save the Date! Madeira Theatre Arts presents "Cinderella" April 10-12, 2014 at Madeira High School's Medert Auditorium. For ticket information please see Cinderella Ticket Information.
- MHS Varsity wrestler Nick Gehlaus qualified for the OHSAA State Wrestling Championships in the 285 pound weight class. The state championships will be held February 27-28 & March 1 at Value City Arena in the Jerome Schottenstein Center in Columbus. For a photo of his walk through and the link for live updates please see OHSAA Wrestling Live.
- 7th grader Ben Fisk placed in the top 16 at the Cincinnati Math Counts Competition on Feb. 22. He participated in the Count Down round and will advance to the state level Math Counts competition on March 8.