The Bassett Unified School District educates and engages all students in a safe learning environment in collaboration with parents and the community
Our school district is named after Mr. O.T. Bassett of El Paso, Texas. In 1895 he bought 814 acres of land in the western part of the Puente Valley. This land was part of the original 47,000 acre land grant belonging to John Rowland and William Workman. Governor Pio Pico granted this land to them on July 22, 1845. This land grant was known as Rancho Puente and was one of the larger ranchos of Southern California. The rancho encompassed Covina, West Covina, Rowland Heights, La Puente and Baldwin Park. So during those days, the boundaries were defined by a river, a lagoon, and a chain of hills.
In 1851, Mr. Rowland and Mr. Workman divided their land, with Workman taking possession of the western portion of about 20,000 acres. Records indicate that Joseph Workman, the son of William Workman, bought part of the land and then borrowed money on the property at a local bank. He was not able to keep up the mortgage payments, so the bank acquired the property, and it was then that Mr. O.T. Bassett bought it. His son, Charles Bassett, inherited the land and later sold portions to other settlers. Bassett Township was established.