History of Blackbrook Audubon Society:
Blackbrook Audubon dates back to 1938 when Carl Newhaus, Kay Boothe, and others met at the "Blackbrook Creek Bridge." Around 1950, the "Blackbrook Bird Club", which held monthly meetings and was informally involved with National Audubon, and had been walking at Richmond Beach for 12 years of Spring Bird Walks, became the Blackbrook Audubon Society and began a more formal association with Audubon.
Currently, Blackbrook holds monthly meetings (September-June) at Lake Metroparks, Geauga Park District and The Holden Arboretum. In addition to monthly meetings, Blackbrook hosts monthly bird trips to various locations in Ohio. Blackbrook monitors local Important Bird Areas. Once a month bird census walks are held in an effort to monitor bird populations and help with habitat management. In addition to holding IBA bird walks, Blackbrook leads Audubon Sunday morning bird walks for six weeks every spring. Blackbrook is also actively involved with community events including Earth Day and environmental events in Lake, Ashtabula and Geauga Counties.