Borough of Allendale

500 West Crescent Avenue
201-818-4400

The approximately three and five eights square miles that are known today as Allendale were part of a vast wilderness known only to the Egyptians until the early 1700's, when a few adventurous settlers began to carve out farms and build taverns in the vicinity. Allendale was then part of the Ramapo Tract, a 42,500-acre parcel of land controlled by the East New Jersey Board of Proprietors. The Proprietors were largely old real estate speculators, and many of them never set foot on the American land they controlled from afar.