Longport is located on the southern tip of Absecon Island, the borough encompasses approximately half of a square mile of land area and is bordered by the bay on the northwestern coast and the ocean on the southeastern coast.
Long kept the property for 25 years and over the years, his property value increased in both value and size. His property increased by a little more than a mile in length after accumulating sand from an erosion updrift from Atlantic City between 1870 and 1880. He never came to see the land he purchased, nor did he decide to develop it. Although, he came back to Longport several years later and purchased an entire block of land, between 12th and 13th avenues, where he built a home on the beach. Long named it the “Bide-A-Wee.” By the turn of the century, the home was sold and became a sanatorium.