The Borough of West View was established in 1905. It is 1.1 square miles. There are 7,762 residents of West View, with approximately 3000 households. There are approximately 195 businesses.
Several churches were formed and built throughout the years. To date there is 1 Catholic Church , 1 Methodist Church, 1 Presbyterian Church, 2 Lutheran Churches and 1 Assembly of God Church in the Borough.
The Pittsburgh Railways Company constructed bridges and combined its West View and Bellevue routes in 1906. Now there was public transportation to the city from all parts of the Borough.
Several lots on Oakwood Avenue were presented to the Borough for a public school. It opened in 1905. In 1909 Highland School was dedicated. It was located on the east side of the Borough at Highland Avenue and Columbia Avenue. Throughout the years to come additional schools were built to house all the children of the Borough. In 1948 West View and Ross formed the North Hills School Jointure. In 1965 the two districts merged to form the North Hills School District.
West View Park was founded in 1906 and was immediately met with disapproval. The park was opened on Sundays which residents did not approve of. During the first year of operation there were many fights among men in the streets of the Borough. After Council discussed the situation with the park manager it was decided that the two popular rides would run on alternate Sundays. Also other amusements were closed on Sundays to keep the noise down.
Each year there were many different company picnics held at West View Park. Many residents worked at the park in the summertime. West View Park Danceland was home to many of the Big Bands. Danceland burned to the ground in 1973 and with it went a lot of memories. In 1977 the park announced its closing for good.
In 1979 the empty park property was to be used for a shopping center and senior citizen high rise complex. Today the property houses several shops such as K-Mart & Giant Eagle and several fast food chains and stores.
The Police Department has grown over the years from a 1 man force to the current department of 9 officers which include the Chief, 1 Lieutenant, 1 Sergeant and 6 fulltime Officers and 3 partime Officers. The department has many different specialized divisions such as Crime Watch, Dare, Abandoned Vehicles to name just a few.
The Fire Department consists of 3 companies located throughout the Borough. There are 96 volunteer firemen belonging to these companies.
The Borough is governed by The Mayor and 7 elected members of Council . West View Council Meetings are the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 7:00 P.M. in the Council Chambers on the 2nd floor of the Borough Building. All residents are welcome to attend. Residents are welcome to bring concerns to Council but it is asked that they try and resolve the problem with the appropriate Borough Department first.