Central Community Library first opened its doors in 1971. While library service to the residents of Prince William County and the cities of Manassas and Manassas Park was established in July 1952, a library bond referendum for the construction of the first permanent building did not take place until November 1967.
On February 26, 1968, Roger J. Costello, Mayor of Manassas Park, offered the Library Board a gift from the town of Manassas Park of approximately six acres and $100,000 to build a library between Parkside Elementary/Middle School and Route 28. Central Library opened for business on January 21, 1971. For many years Central Library served as the headquarters location for library administration and technical services.