The original settlement in the area was on Greenbury Point, now mostly submerged by the Severn River. It was called Providence and was established by Puritans seeking religious freedom in 1649. The remainder of the century saw waterfront development on the banks of the creeks in the present City Dock area, and in 1694, Governor Sir Francis Nicholson redesigned a new Capital City for the Province of Maryland to replace the original seat of government in St. Mary's City. Named to honor the future Queen Anne of England, Annapolis literally translates to "Anne's City." All of this early town is within the designated National Historic Landmark area.