The City of Conover began to develop in the mid 1800s as a "Y" intersection of the railroad traversing North Carolina. Although originally called Wye Town, legend says the name Canova was adopted, but transposed to Conover, over several years. The City of Conover was chartered in 1876 and incorporated in 1877.
Conover is located in the western piedmont area of the State and is part of the Hickory Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), the fourth largest MSA in the State. Conover is located approximately 50 miles northwest of Charlotte; 60 miles west of Winston-Salem; and 80 miles east of Asheville, and is the geographic center of Catawba County. Interstate 40 traverses through the City along with other major roads including US 70, US 321, US 70A, and NC 16. As of 2001, the land area of the City is 9.44 square miles with a resident population of 6,604. Because of its large industrial base, the City's daytime population is approximately 24,000.
The City operates under a council-manager form of government. The City Council consists of five Council members and a Mayor. Each are elected on a nonpartisan basis to serve staggered four-year terms. The City Council represents the citizens by setting policy and the city manager, hired by the Council, administers the day-to-day business of government and carries out the policies of the Council.
The City provides its citizens with basic quality services that include planning and zoning, public safety, public works, street maintenance, solid waste collection, recycling, parks and cemeteries, and water and sewer utilities. This report includes all the City's activities in providing these services. The City also extends financial support to other agencies, boards and commissions to assist their efforts in serving citizens. Among these are the Economic Development Corporation, Piedmont Wagon, the Catawba County Arts Council, the Western Piedmont Council of Governments and the Regional Sludge Composting Facility.