The City of Fairfax Regional Library opened its doors on January 26, 2008, as Fairfax County Public Library's first truly urban library. Situated at the corner of North Street and Old Lee Highway, the building is considered the eastern gateway to the City of Fairfax. Its exterior and interior architecture suggest a love of history and enlightenment, from the colonial columns and dormers to the soaring yellow pine ceiling.
The oldest library branch in Fairfax, it opened in a small cinderblock building in 1940 and was moved to Chain Bridge Road in 1962. It was called Central Library and served as the library's headquarters until 1982 when it was renamed Fairfax City Regional Library.
The building is well-equipped to serve the needs of its public, with a covered two-level parking deck, large meeting room and two conference rooms, wireless Internet access throughout the building, and dozens of Internet workstations. Cherry reading tables equipped with study lamps have built-in electrical outlets, and a 16-carrell quiet study room allows for individual quiet study. In addition to meeting rooms, a group study room may be reserved. The library has a collection of adult and children's books in Korean, and a large periodical collection, including titles in Spanish, Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese and French.