Ferron City History
During the late 1860's or early 70's a government surveyor by the name of Agustus D. Ferron was sent under the homestead act to survey the area known as Castle Valley. They surveyor and his associates camped along the creek now know as Ferron Creek. As the tale goes, the men agreed to name the creek Ferron's Creek after the surveyor if he would submit to a "dunking" in it. He agreed to the "dunking" and the creek became known as Ferron's Creek. Ferron's Town was settled a few years later and eventually the "s" was dropped and the town and creek became known as "Ferron". In November of 1877, three families from Ephriam responded to a call from the LDS Church to settle in Castle Valley. The journey began on November 15th and making their way over the rugged mountains they arrived at Ferron's creek some 21 days later. The new settlers found the land to be less than inviting with an abundance of prickly pears and sagebrush covering the blue slate hills. After scouting around the area for a more desirable place to call home they returned to the creek to build dugouts.