City Of Smiths Station

2336 Lee Road 430
334-297-8771


A Brief History Of Smiths Station:  

Smiths Station, one of the most thriving and fastest growing communities in Lee County, was settled in 1826.  In 1845 the Central of Georgia Railroad was built through the community from Columbus, GA to Opelika, Alabama.

The depot was named for Mr. Broadus Smith, a prominent early settler who lived near by.

When the first school was built is not exactly known, however, we do know that a one-room wooden structure was located one half mile west of the depot prior to 1913.  A few years after the establishment of the school, Dr. O.D. Smith, whose relationship to Broadus Smith is unknown, moved to the community from the Green Mountain section of Vermont.  Dr. Smith served as a teacher and Principal (lead teacher) at the school in Smiths Station.