Cocoa Beach Community Church

126 South Atlantic Avenue
321-783-3961

History 

On January 4, 1942, a group of 30 Cocoa Beach residents, almost the entire community, met together in a small wooden building on Orlando Avenue with the intent to form an inter-denominational church. 

Worship was conducted by Dr. W.B. Millard of Merritt Island, assisted by Mrs. H.C. Page at the organ. Mrs. B.B. Edwards led the singing. The Purcell Male Quartet from Orlando sang and Dale Godke provided accordion solos. 

Paul Godke was elected chairman with assistants Clara M. Hall and Sam L. Knutsen. The town of Rockledge provided folding chairs, the Elks Club an organ, and Mrs. Harry Cressen of J.W. Hooper Motor Company provided a truck to transport the organ and chairs. 

Thus, Cocoa Beach saw the formation of its first church and also community center. Not even a war, constantly changing military personnel, hot weather, mosquitoes and absentee vacationers could keep the CBCC from growing! Total disbursements for the year matched the total income of $232.27 which included a $3.50 weekly payment to Dr. Millard for driving from Merritt Island to conduct the services, mosquito spray and 45¢ an hour for yard maintenance. 

On November 19, 1944, Mr. F.G.J. Pulsipher reported an available lot for $600.00 on the spot where our church is now located. It was agreed to make the purchase, and at that time the CBCC was incorporated.

In February, 1945, $15,000.00 was set as the goal for construction and fitting of the church, and a special meeting of the building fund committee in June, 1945, was held to negotiate a building loan with the Congregational Church (that church being a gathering of independent churches). It was not until June 10, 1945, when the Congregational Christian Church merged with the Evangelical-Reformed Church and founded the United Church of Christ, that the denominational name was changed to the present one. 

1947 saw the foundation laid and the walls erected of the first building called our Community House. The church was completed in 1949 with a loan from the Congregational Church and the first service was held on Christmas Day.


Photos