Situated in the small North Central Massachusetts city of Fitchburg, Coggshall Park was a gift to the City from Mr. Henry Coggshall, an executive of The Fitchburg Gas Company, and his wife in 1894. The initial donation included 86 acres, but the couple subsequently purchased and donated additional parcels to create the 212-acre park that exists today. Coggshall Park also abuts a large parcel of conservation land and a bird sanctuary, providing a total of approximately 300 acres for visitors to enjoy.
Miles of wooded trails crisscross the park, branching out from around Mirror Lake. Stone steps built into a hillside face a gazebo on the water, making this a popular spot for weddings. A classic Stone House on the property was damaged by fire in early 2009, but restoration efforts are now complete. The tables and benches scattered around the park draw picnickers as well as those simply seeking a place to relax. For additional entertainment, there's a playground for children and a frisbee golf course currently in the development stages.
Coggshall Park offers something for every season. Spring brings mountain laurel blooms and the return of the swans, while the the breeze from the lake and the shade of the large pines are ideal for cooling off in the summer. Beautiful foliage brings out the photographers in autumn, and winter provides the opportunity for skating on Mirror Lake and cross-country skiing or snowshoeing on the array of trails.