Conely Branch Library

4600 Martin Street
313-481-1590

The Conely Branch Library on Detroit's Southwest side is one of the legacy of libraries that Andrew Carnegie bequeathed to towns all across America in the late 19th and early 20th Century.

Named for Edwin Conely, a prominent local attorney and a member of the library commission, the library opened on September 15th, 1913 in a then-rural area of Detroit. Over the course of the next thirteen years, the area grew so much that it was necessary to add a large room to the rear of the original library building, thus ensuring that the library could best serve the community for decades to come.

Photos