Congregation B'nai Israel had its beginning with the Rockville Hebrew Ladies Association. This dedicated group of women originally held services in the home of one of the members.
In 1931, they bought the Greek Revival building on East Main Street for $1,200. They were able to turn the dilapidated building into a synagogue, community center and school. Then, in 1946, the congregation purchased "Castle Sunset", the building we're in now.