The Dickinson County Library provides materials and services to help residents of the county obtain the information needed to achieve their personal, educational and professional goals. The Library will serve as an access point for patrons to obtain inter-library loan materials. Emphasis is placed on providing materials and services that stimulate an interest in reading and learning among children. Our goal is to provide these services at a reasonable cost.
Library service in Dickinson County dates back to the 1870’s, when a library was attached to the Pioneer School in Quinnesec. In 1901, Andrew Carnegie offered a grant to establish and erect a public library in Iron Mountain. The Carnegie grant was accompanied by a stipulation that the municipality assumes responsibility for the library’s continuing operation. The Carnegie Library was opened in 1902. In 1961, the Dickinson County Library was developed to provide library service to all residents of the county. In 1969, the Main Library building located at 401 Iron Mountain Street in Iron Mountain was open to the public.
The Norway Reading Room was the beginning of early library service in November 1933, located in the Fredeen Building on Main Street, Norway. The City of Norway then established a library in the City Hall in February 1934. Following the passage of the county-wide millage in 1961, the Norway Branch Library was moved next door to the Coast to Coast building from City Hall. It was destroyed by fire in February 1977. Planning for the new building started immediately. The City of Norway offered two lots on the corner of U.S.2 and Section Street, which had been willed to the city by Ellen and Lillian Solomonson. The new facility, named the Solomonson Branch Library-Norway opened for service at its current location on April 10, 1978.
In January 2004, the North Dickinson County Library Branch opened. The Branch is located in a room leased from the North Dickinson School in Felch and provides residents in northern Dickinson County full library service.