The Dow Gardens were started in 1899 by Herbert Dow, founder of The Dow Chemical Company. The Gardens, originally developed on eight acres of flat, sandy land, provided a creative outlet for Herbert Dow’ and his interest in agriculture and design. He created gardens, ponds and hills according to a simple philosophy that we still follow to this day: “never reveal the gardens’ whole beauty at first glance.”
‹Alden B. Dow, Herbert’s youngest son and an experienced architect, continued his father's work on the Gardens. The family connection continued with the involvement of Herbert Dow’s grandson, Herbert Dow II.
Thanks to the dedicated guidance of the Dow family, the Gardens have grown to 110 acres. Today, the creativity of Herbert Dow is still revealed to all those who visit Dow Gardens.