The church was organized 1834. The people recognized a spiritual and social need to provide the community a place of worship in its own established farm- town, thereby avoiding the necessity to travel to a neighboring town's church- about 7 miles distance.
From 1837 to 1840 Rev. William Smith served as the first minister. Under the ministry of Rev. J. M. Carpenter (1841-1849) the church purchased and established the cemetery on Landing Street. Between 1868 to 1870 the brick building, serving as the present sanctuary, erected. The memorial stain-glass windows were installed from 1895 to 1902 during ministry of Rev. William Harrison; also, the original Sunday School building was erected and the baptistry installed. In 1926 the present parsonage was acquired. The present educational building was erected in 1960 under the ministry of Rev. Richard Griffith. The adjoining house and property on Church St. was purchased in 1963, with plans for use by a youth minister or as a missionary home. In 1968 the church celebrated both it's 150th anniversary and a mortgage burning. A new metal steeple was installed to replace the old wooden one in 1974. Between 2000 to 2001 the youth program was revived and missions emphasized and new sound system and central air conditioning system was installed.